2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 10:06 AM by Semora Smith

Sustainability for ACS Staff

Semora Smith

"Is there a central repository for sustainable issues among ACS staff?" This question has been asked a number of times and as a result, the ACS Staff Council has established a committee to take on sustainable initiatives internally that will help with gathering and disseminating information on daily sustainable practices for staff. The staff committee held its first meeting in this regard last week. We have found that a large percentage of staff is looking to receive information and some direction on making headquarters a more sustainable or "greener" work environment. In support of the Society's commitment on sustainability, Facilities will be leading the committee's efforts. They have already begun a disposal/recycle program for business and personal items. Staff will be allowed to recycle rechargeable batteries from cellular phones, cordless telephones, laptops, PDAs, cordless power tools, camcorders, two-way radios and remote control toys and devices. CFL bulbs are also being recycled for environmental safety. Staff has also been urged to turn off computers and monitors at the end of each work day to save energy.

I thought it would be great for S3G to know of the staff efforts taken place and to share any information that may be of help as we move forward.

• Re: Sustainability for ACS Staff
          Bob Peoples

Semora, thanks for sharing this.  The Staff have a huge capacity to contribute both ideas and results in this area.  I would love to see a summary of results at the end of July to share with the S3G. I just paid $10 to recycle an old copier for my father-in-law.  So having access for staff to recycle some of these objects will be a good step forward.  I would also like to see ACS support the recycle of office carpet by including it in the bid specifications for future building rennovations.  Bob

• Re: Sustainability for ACS Staff
              Semora Smith

Dear Bob,

Of course, I could provide you with a summary. The committee held its first meeting last week to brainstorm ideas on how to engage staff in a very positive way. We are working on plans to begin implementings some of the ideas that were shared. Thanks for your support. I've invited members of the green committee to join the online network so we can communicate our efforts to the group.