14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 2:17 PM by Daryle Busch

When you think of sustainability what image comes to mind?

Tamara Coombs

As we've discussed, the ACS effort to enlist the world's scientific professionals to adress sustainability through chemistry could use a touchstone image for communications purposes. A sample of images has been compiled to spark thoughts and discussion to determine the image you feel best represents S3G. Please comment on which you like, or if you have other images (for which Copyright can be secured) to suggest that we use.

Note that the sustainability image has been used previously by Katie Hunt and provides another option.

• Re: When you think of sustainability what image comes to mind?
          Carolyn Ribes

For me, part of the answer to this question depends on how we are going to use the image(s).  If we are looking for something to put on a web (to reduce amount of text), then a rotating set of images like those shown would work.  As a set, they represent sustainability and how it impacts life.  However, individually, I don't think they give an image of sustainabilty as a whole - only a single slice.  The light bulb images work nicely for electricity, for example, but don't link with accessible safe drinking water.

If we are looking for a single image, then I would want something that covers sustainability in the broadest sense - energy, food, water, etc. I would somehow include an image of the world/global and perhaps represent people as well.   Depending on how we want to use the image, it will need to be scalable and somewhat easy to reproduce (for example, a B&W print version).

If we are looking for a logo, then I would prefer something uncomplicated and easy to reproduce in many sizes and formats.  It can be subtle and more abstract than representational.   Simple logos such as the Olympic rings or Red Cross come to mind.  The recycling triangle is more representational and I think that works well for that message.

Carolyn

Martin Abraham

I think Carolyn has hit the nail on the head.  These are nice images, but I don't think any one of them would be particularly appropriate as a logo (for example).

CEI had developed a logo back in 2007 that we incorporated into an ad promoting sustainability at the 2007 meeting in Chicago.  I have attached a copy of the ad for you to look at (the logo is in the lower right hand corner).  You may recall that we also handed out pins during that meeting, using the logo with the simple slogan, "Are you sustainable?".

Laura Pence

Hello Everyone,

Since I've been pushing the idea of a logo, let me explain how I expect to use it as part of the theme.  Many symposium organizers have a standard slide up on the screen before a symposium begins or between talks.  Since that slide often includes a schedule of the talks, the logo needs to be small enough to be present and recognizable, but it is not the main focus.  In this case, the message is, "Here's the schedule- and it's connected to sustainability."

I also envision a buffet table that includes a card (the size that would be used to indentify various dishes) with the message, "All the plates, cups, and cutlery are made from corn starch so they are biodegradable."  The logo is on a corner of the card.

Richard Love and I are working on contacting the Division and Committee officers to suggest going paperless for the various committee meetings.  The format of those meetings usually involves tables, so if power strips are ordered, this initiative is far simpler than a paperless Council agenda, which has been under discussion.  I envision that on the front page of every electronic agenda packet, that the logo appears along with a message not to print if possible.

There have been discussions about having the technical program available via Kindle.  The logo can be on the front of that file.  Likewise, the logo can appear on bins for recycling paper as well as for recycling meeting badges.

As such, the logo needs to be extremely simple, but also recognizable in a small format.  The ACS shield logo is a good example of something that is recognizable on a small scale.  The bottom right corner of the image that Martin shared- the green leaf, world, and flask is another good example.  I could also see something like the ACS shield in green inside the recycling logo since it combines chemistry and sustainability in a single image.

Words should be few on the logo, but at least for the San Francisco meeting, I think the words should be the title of the theme:  "Chemistry for a Sustainable World."  It could certainly be changed for future meetings, but if the logo is to be introduced at that meeting, then it needs to be the logo of the theme for starters.

That's my vision as a beginning.

Regards,

Laura Pence

Bob Peoples

Laura, thanks for the vision of how the logo might be used - this is very helpful.  Looking at some of the eamples it reminds me of a few key questions and comments:

1. I assume we are separating SF meeting logo from S3G logo - correct

2. If #1 is correct, is that the best thingg to do? Repetitive exposure is valuable to build recognition.

3. The best logos are simple and create a lating impression.  Think of the Olympic Rings - claimed to be the most recognizable int'l icon.  No words, just an image that people from any culture, geogrpahy, etc understand.  The Shell "shell" is similar.  How could we create such an impact?

4. A tag line can be used with nay logo and may reiinforce the message such as the ACS lgo and "Chemistry for Life" tage line. Simple and powerful.

5. Maybe it should read "Sustainable Chemistry for Life."

6. Everyone else is using leaves, the earth, etc.  What could we do that is unique and impactful?

7. ACS GCI is grappling wiht the same issue and have been discussiing an awareness campaign called chEMPOWER.  While we have not settled on a logo, I am attaching a working draft version.  It is a bit hard to judge it out of context, but some mock-ups on bags, t-shirts, etc looked great.  Any opinions?

Bob

S Airee

I envisage an image of the globe with a lot of water with inserts of SUSTAINABILiTY write and hydrogen and carbon drawings with arrows. Arrow may signify recycling also.   Hydrogen and carbon signifying a clean energy resource and constraining of green house gases. The attached picture is a quick rough drawing that should provide the staring point for further modification and artistic rendering. This logo seems to reflect the  chemistry origin.

Semora Smith

(Posted on Behalf of Robert Rich)

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:30 AM
                    To: Robert Rich
                    Cc: Martin Abraham (E-mail); Ray Garant; Richard Love
                    Subject: Re: Chemistry for a Sustainable World Logo

Bob,
                        I'm happy to give you an enthusiastic "yes" on using the logo that you shared to label all of the different aspects of the thematic programming for San Francisco.  I will indeed wrap the "Chemistry for a Sustainable World" around it to connect it directly to the theme.
                        My thanks to you and S3G for all of your discussions and especially to Martin Abraham for proposing the use of the logo for the San Francisco program.  I think it will work admirably.
                    Best Regards,
                    Laura