2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 2:30 PM by David Harwell

Minority Participation in Chemistry

David Harwell

Educators from across the United States sought to identify issues and develop strategies to attract underrepresented minorities to careers in chemistry at two recent ACS workshops on increasing minority participation in chemistry. Find out what they shared and recommendations for advancing progress:

• Re: Minority Participation in Chemistry
          Deidre Blackwell

When I was in middle and high school, I was put in a program that pushed minorities to get into engineering.  It was a summer program (with classes on Saturday during the school year) that gave classes in math and science.  I had already liked math and science by that time and decided to major in chemistry.  The people in the program kept telling me that chemical engineering is what I should do instead.  I'm not sure if the program is still around but I think chemistry (science in general) is an area that people either like or they don't.  I don't think its a matter of getting more minorities in chemistry just to have more in the field but probably getting better equiped science programs in middle and high schools so more students, in general, can enjoy the laboratory sciences.

• Re: Minority Participation in Chemistry
              David Harwell

Deidre - I think that you make some excellent points, and a rising tide will raise all boats if the barriers to advancement are equivalent.  However, that does not seem to be the case for many individuals.  Picking up on your comment, I wonder if there are ways that we can help to increase the resources made available to public schools in areas of the country that primarily serve minority students.