cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnClevenger
New Contributor

Announcement from the White House for new funding for community colleges

Recognizing the vital role of community/two-year colleges in higher education, yesterday the Obama administration announced a $12 billion plan to support them.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Excerpts-of-the-Presidents-remarks-in-Warren-Michigan-and...

What are your thoughts about this initiative?  Is this something that your college or program will apply for?  Do you think this will benefit your college, students, and programs, particularly during these hard economic times?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AminaEl-Ashmawy
New Contributor II

Re: Announcement from the White House for new funding for community colleges

This is an exciting development indeed. The community college sector of US higher education plays a significant role in shaping the US's place in the golbal workforce/economy. Most folks don't realize that half of all entering college students enroll at a community college.

At Collin College (TX) the president of our Faculty Counil sent out an email yesterday asking for ideas so we can submit a proposal for funding. I hope every community college applies for funding.

0 Kudos
tysusski
New Contributor

The Obama announcement of the community college administration resonated with Oakland Community College (MI) and I suspect with all community colleges (especially, in Michigan where unemployment is >14.1%). I see this upcoming proposal as an explicit recognition of two-year colleges and their importance to the economy.

I like the fact that the grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, that community colleges would have to track and report student outcomes, set targets for graduation/employment-related outcomes, and serve populations with high needs. I also like the emphasis in the areas of health care, green technology and science/engineering.

It doesn't hurt that Jill Biden teaches at a community college!

0 Kudos
tysusski
New Contributor

The Obama announcement of the community college initiative resonated with Oakland Community College (MI) and I suspect with all community colleges (especially, in Michigan where unemployment is >14.1%). I see this upcoming proposal as an explicit recognition of two-year colleges and their importance to the economy.

I like the fact that the grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, that community colleges would have to track and report student outcomes, set targets for graduation/employment-related outcomes, and serve populations with high needs. I also like the emphasis in the areas of health care, green technology and science/engineering.

It doesn't hurt that Jill Biden teaches at a community college!

0 Kudos