6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 2:22 PM by James Harrington

Preparing for the Fall 2009 meeting

bruce norman

Hello,

Where can I find pointers on how to prepare my poster for the AEI session?

Thanks!

• Re: Preparing for the Fall 2009 meeting
          Corrie Kuniyoshi

You can find some tips for preparing your poster on the ACS website here (scroll down to the bottom). It would also be good to prepare and bring several copies of your resume as well as some business cards for interested recruiters to take with them. We will also be having a AEI orientation for poster presenters on Monday, August 17, from 5:30 pm- 6:30 pm (just prior to the SciMix) at the Walter E. Convention Center, Rm 158 B. The orientation will cover tips for meeting with recruiters at the poster session.

Let us know if you have any questions.

-Corrie

ACS Office of Graduate Education

1-202-872-4588

graded@acs.org

Corrie Kuniyoshi

Mark O'Brien also advised me that there is also a discussion that occurred in the Salt Lake City Naitonal Meeting forum which pertains to Sci-Mix and is relevant to the current discussion. Here is a link to this discussion https://communities.acs.org/docs/DOC-1302 as well as a helpful article from InChemistry.

-Corrie

Jodi Wesemann

This article is a good one!  One other piece of advice that I would add is to get the input of others, at several stages of your preparation and with folks who have different levels of familiarity with your work.

Get input early - on one of your first drafts.  I've had students who worked so hard to fit things in and present them perfectly, before sharing them with anyone - only to realize that their layout didn't flow well, or it was too much material.

Walk through your poster with folks who have different level of interest.  Of course, your labmates are going to be interested in details, and you need to be prepared to present your poster to others who are interested to the same degree.  But make sure you are ready - and that your poster is appropriate - for someone who is not doing related research.  Unless an institution is building a cadre of faculty with related research projects, chances are that the recruiters at AEI visiting your poster will not be familiar with your research area...

Ask someone with "fresh eyes" for that final review.  After even a few rounds of edits, you will just not notice the errors that will jump out at others...

James Harrington

If we are primarily searching for a teaching-oriented institution, would it also be a reasonable idea to print off copies of our teaching philosophy or include that with our resume/CV, or do we not want to give the recruiters too much at once?  Maybe that'd be better to wait until we actually apply for their positions?  ;-)

Thanks!