3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 1:42 PM by Kenneth Polk

Getting that first investor...

Stanley Seelig

I am trying to start up a small chemical company based on using green chemistry to allow the minimal use water.  More specifically, we are looking to formulate specialty detergent packages for using green solvents for cleaning.  For sources of income, I am looking at SBA and other government loans, Venture Capitalists, Angel investors, bankers and chemical manufacturers of green solvents.  My partner and I have a provisional patent to protect our technology.  I am presently underemployed as a chemical consultant and have minimal resources other than my partner having chemical labs over 700 miles away.  What would be the fastest way to get this company off the ground?  I am in the process of writing a business plan to cover the next 5 years which includes fileing patents, formulating detergents, liscensing technology, and forming partnerships.

Stan Seelig

Seelig and Associates

• Re: Getting that first investor...
          Kenneth Polk

SBA loans put your money at risk.  To obtain OPM ('Other People's Money) as well, you will need to demonstrate a plan to convert your provisional patents to issued, utility patents and present value-added stages of developing your technologies.  This product development strategy should consider regulatory filings, if necessary, market barriers, and key technology advances to show investors how you plan to advance the company and grow your technologies.  Angels are key players in this space for you.  Consider approaching local angel groups with your business plan that details what I've outlined above.  Also, consider grants and SBIR/STTR funding as part of your strategy.  This will show investors that you intend to leverage 'zero' cost monies.

All the best.

• Re: Getting that first investor...
            Rick Coffey

Hello Stan,

I saw your thread on the Ken Polk discussion board. I am not a source of funding but I am a consultant with experience in detergents. I may have some ideas for you. Check my business website if you think you might be interested www.AquatixResources.com ; my email address is there, of course.  Rick Coffey