cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orsongriffin
New Contributor

Should the ACS work more like a union in the US?

There are many ways that ACS could expand it's influence, and work to provide more benefits for it's US members.  It already tries to work it's influence through legislation that influences copyright laws of ACS publications and funding for agencies.  But, I get offers for insurance, and I pay an annual due, maybe I should be getting more than a weekly magazine?  What are some features that you would like and Chemists ACS union to have?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
subrata75
New Contributor

Re: Should the ACS work more like a union in the US?

ACS should expand worldwide!

0 Kudos
JSGaffney
New Contributor

ACS membership is world-wide. More than 160,000 members and growing it is the largest scientific professional organization on the planet.

Professional society is what ACS is as well as a Federally Chartered Society (FDR in 1937) - so we as a Professional Society have obligation to advise the Federal Government on Chemistry Issues.

I believe that were much more than a union - and in my humble opinion, represent some of the best citizen-scientists in our country and the world.

0 Kudos
lbcoop
New Contributor

I need to be educated about unions.  What could a union do for us that ACS does not already do?

0 Kudos
orsongriffin
New Contributor

Thanks for your response and clarification.  I think your characterizing it as a "non union" is accurate. 

0 Kudos
orsongriffin
New Contributor

Since healthcare is being debated in the US. What if (for an example) the ACS assured we had healthcare coverage the way unions for other organizations do.  Or retirement benefits matched by the employer.

0 Kudos
deharwell
Contributor

For the record, ACS does have an official stance on healthcare (attached).  The policy statement was drafted by the Committee on Economic and Professional Affairs (CEPA), and recently approved by the ACS Board Committee on Public Affairs and Public Relations (PA&PR).  However, this is a policy statement offerring guidelines and opinions.  It does not have binding status like an employment contract or a law.  It is hoped that Congress will take this policy statement into account when drafting future legislation on healthcare.

0 Kudos
act4chemistry
New Contributor

Thanks for sharing the healthcare statement.  The ACS also has statements on "Retirement Security" and "Employment Non-Discrimination."  All of the ACS statements can be found here

0 Kudos