1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 4:44 PM by Michael Filosa

CAS Committee Wants Your Input!

Grace Baysinger

The Committee on Chemical Abstract Service (CCAS) met for the first time at the Spring 2010 National Meeting in San Francisco under the leadership of the new Chair, Spiro Alexandratos of Hunter College. CCAS meets twice annually in conjunction with the Spring and Fall National ACS Meeting. The meetings are attended by committee members, associates, liaisons and key CAS staff led by CAS President, Bob Massie. The main objective of the committee is to act as an information conduit between ACS members and CAS management and vice-versa. We wish to solicit the opinions of ACS members on Chemical Abstract Services so that we can evaluate those opinions and concerns and present them to CAS management. Similarly, CCAS will also help CAS communicate with ACS members.

CAS is of critical importance to the American Chemical Society. It employs 80% of the 2000 full-time employees of the ACS and it returns a substantial surplus each year to the Society allowing the funding of many of its activities. Despite a difficult financial year in 2009, CAS returned a record surplus to the ACS as a result of new products and careful management of costs. CAS faces many challenges now and in the future and your feedback is highly valued. Please contact your nearest CCAS representative. We want to hear from you.

Prior to the Fall and Spring National Meetings, CCAS will be posting formal requests for input in various forums, including the ACS Member Network, ACS Local Section and Division newsletters, and CHMINF-L (Chemical Information Listserv).  Issues raised will be brought to the attention of CAS management, and responses will be disseminated to the appropriate individuals or groups as quickly as possible.  However, you are encouraged to contact a member of CCAS with feedback at any time, regardless of whether or not a formal call has been posted.  A list of current committee members appears in the Documents section of this Group.

Those of you attending the ACS National Meeting in Boston should also make time in your schedules to attend the CCAS Open Meeting, which is held jointly with the Open Meeting of the Joint Board-Council Committee on Publications.  This meeting provides an opportunity for all ACS members and attendees to raise issues in person, and the CCAS chair and members of CAS staff will report on issues of general interest discussed during the closed session of the committee.  This fall's CCAS Open Meeting will be held on Monday, August 23, at 4:30PM in Room 156A of the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.

This year, I have been asked to facilitate communication between CCAS and the ACS Member Network.  If you have any issues that you would like raised at the CCAS closed meeting on August 20, please contact me by e-mail, and I will pass along your questions and comments to the committee.  Either a member of CAS staff or someone from the CCAS committee (probably me) will then communicate a response to you in a timely fashion, either before or after the August 20 meeting.  If an issue arises at any point during the year, please feel free to contact me, and I will pass it along to the committee.

Many thanks in advance for your time and input.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Grace Baysinger (graceb@stanford.edu), on behalf of the Joint Board-Council Committee on CAS

• Re: CAS Committee Wants Your Input!
          Michael Filosa

The local section newsletter (the Nucleus) for the Northeastern Section ACS (NESACS) has an article in the October issue requesting feedback to CCAS. The entire October Nucleus can be downloaded at http://www.nesacs.org/archives_nucleus.html (the article appears on page 9) . There is also a link  under "Announcements" to a pdf of the article on the NESACS home page at http://www.nesacs.org/ . I have attached the pdf of the article available at the NESACS website to this message. NESACS is the largest of the local sections with nearly 7000 members. We plan on reaching out to as many local sections as possible with this message.

The Nucleus has been in the hands of the readers for approximately one-two weeks. I have not received any response to the article at this point but will quiz the NESACS board at the next board meeting.