AnsweredAssumed Answered

Link to Discoveries! by on-line media

Question asked by David Stewart-Smith on Nov 8, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 by Nancy Mccormick-Pickett

Hi all -

I have been able to make a productive contact with an editor from the Oregonian, Oregon's largest newspaper.  She said she will take me up on my offer to put her in touch with chemists from our section when they are working a story with a chemistry angle.  She has also expressed some interest in stories from Discoveries! I can link to Oregon or the Pacific Northwest, but offered to link all the stories in their on-line edition.  I have not been able to find a link through the acs.org site.

I think this is a good compromise to not getting column space in the larger newspapers.

So, my questions:

How can we or is it possible for a media web page to link to Discoveries!?

What do you think of this as a possible way to build relationships with city editors?

I think I have two stories brewing in local community weekly and monthly papers about our last section meeting.  I targeted the paper where our speaker's company is and the paper where he lives.  Both are suburbs of Portland.  I'll let you know how it works out.  I sent out the initial press release on 10/26, but didn't follow up with phone calls until 11/01.  Both editors were interested in running the piece, but hadn't flagged it as being something they might be willing to follow up on until I called them.  This is a real confirmation of what we heard in Sparkle about making calls after the release.  I have attached a copy of the press release.  Take care all,

Dave Stewart-Smith

Outcomes