AnsweredAssumed Answered

Are complex biomolecules themselves living?

Question asked by Mitsuru Yamada on Oct 17, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 by Mitsuru Yamada

This is an amateur physicist.

I have read various books ranging from general biolgy to biochemistry.

Especially impressive book was John Taylor Bonner's "Life Cycle".

When I contacted him, he suggested me to read D.L.White's "Animal Thinking".

You must not doubt that a dog has his mind.  Just in the same way, you do not doubt a cat has her mind.

Next, let us move to other species.  Do you believe that a bird or an insect like ant can have their mind?

They do.  This is my conclusion derived from reading the above quoted two books.

Let's go down furthermore lower ladder.  Does an amoeba has its mind, that is, can an organism lacking nervous network have a "mind"?

All of the above listed animals are individuals of "zoo"s which is composed from various cellular oragns,or tissue organs.

Jumping a gap toward further lower biological level, my story proceeds to the molecular scale.

Think of an enzyme molecule, e,g, phosphorylase, or nucleic acid chain i.e., the double helix of DNA.

Do you think they are absolutely mechanically driven when they cause motions?

To me they look like animate entities.  I imagine that almost of all the heavy molecules called enzyme can detect the target substarates which are roaming distant from the enzyme wanting them, and can very efficiently collect them to do chemical operation on them.  To me, the DAN helices too look like doing computation on their biochemical condition of their envirment e.g., the intensities of activities and concentartions of varoius biological molecules. (For example, imagine the motion of the proton in the hydrogen bonding between the base pairing as "digital computer")

Thus, my imagination is that the biological chemicals are, in a sense, living, always desiring to function something.

My further imagination is this.  Such an intricate ability of complex biomolecule must be based on the quantum mechnaics.

The name of the quatum mechanics compises the word "mechanics", but the entire behavior of the biomolecule are never "mechanistic" though the quantum "mechanics" governs the whole activity of the molecule.  When the biomolecule is regarded as an hugely intricate system of quantum mechanics, the computational results of the biomolecular system can barely anticipated or even vauguely grasped by the quatum mechanical Schroedinger equation solving .  It seems to me that the impossibility of the ordinary periodical clock like  solution must be the very key factor that yields "animateness",or "living state" of the biomolecule, amoeba, ant, bird , cat and dog.

MitsuruYamada

October 18, 2011.   

Outcomes