cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcc2
New Contributor

pregnancy in the lab?

A group of women in my work place started looking into the policies for pregnancy in the lab.  We were told we must disclose pregnancy ASAP and we will be immediately removed from laboratory work for the duration of the pregnancy.  If a women doesnt want to work in the lab while pregnant, I understand however, is it legal to remove a women who would like to continue to work in the lab if she and her doctor agree that she physically capable to do so?  I was wondering what different industry policies are out there?  Any information would be great.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
woodykb
New Contributor

Re: pregnancy in the lab?

There are several supreme court cases on this issue, that have decided that women cannot be required to unwillingly change regular job activities due to pregnancy. I took my similar issue to HR when I was pregnant, and it was quickly determined that I had every legal right to continue working if I wanted to.

0 Kudos
kcc2
New Contributor

Sounds great!  Thanks for letting me know.  By chance do you know what some of the names of those Supreme Court Cases?  I am sure I could search for them online but if you know any off the top of your head that would be great.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
woodykb
New Contributor

Not recalling the names, I searched for them independantly before I spoke with HR (I wanted to make sure I was correct in my complaint, I was so nervous to approach HR about this issue). In my case, I first approached a supportive female manager of a different division, to help with this issue as well. I was very fortunate that the situation was handled very professionaly, with no backlash. Another thing that helped was I got a health form from my medical professional that listed no work restrictions were necessary. Also, I compromised with our health and safety and modified some of my lab activities that they were concerned about (but I used my judgement to discern if there was ligitamate reason for the concern).  

A personal note: I have had two beautiful healthy babies, and I worked in labs all nine months for both of my pregnancies. Obviously I would not recommend any risky behavior, but with all of the modern saftey equipment and regulations, most jobs can be performed in a safe way for both the professional and the baby.