AnsweredAssumed Answered

The electron can hop around over all the universe.  Is this relevant to your chemistry?

Question asked by Mitsuru Yamada on Jan 22, 2013
Latest reply on May 7, 2013 by Mitsuru Yamada

I have read a book "The Quantum Universe" written by Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw and published from Penguin Books.

In the book, I have encountered an astonishing sentence.  It is,

"Quantum theory is,...,esoteric,...  Esoteric because it describes a world in which a particle really can be in several places at once and moves from one place to another by exploring the entire Universe simultaneously."   (line 12-15 on page 2)  Quotation (1)

Oh, boy!  What a fantastic expression is this!

It does resolve nicely the very conundrum which we always meet when we have the trouble of  how to interpret the meaning of the probability density distribution function of an electron in a hydrogen atom.   It has been really a serious conundrum for me.

For example, think of a 3d state of a hydrogen atom.

The electronic cloud is composed from 8 island around the proton.  Then how can we imagine the elecgtron's motion. The vacuum sea sourounding the 8 islands are space region where the existence of the electron is highly inhibited.  If we assume that at some instance the electron is in one of  the 8 island, then how will the electron can go to the other one of the islands?

The quotation (1) clearly gives us the answer: The electron can hop, I repeat, the electron can hop, over a distance in space directly!

It is really esoteric and at the same time interesting for all of us.

Then, we wiil be puzzled if we think a group of electrons all attracted by single nucleus.

How does each electron hop spacially?  How does the entire electronic cloud behave?

The quotation (1) affects your chemical view or chemistry,doesn't it?

Thank you for reading.

A quantum lover

January 22, 2013

Outcomes