cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emmafellini
New Contributor

advice on a book.

Hello,

I am a website creator working on a site about therapeutic properties of chemical compounds found in essential oils and I need a recommendation for a book or a resource about information on this.

The quoted info below I found on Wikipedia, it is helpful but the information on different plants is not consistent. With some plants there isn´t even mention of therapeutic properties of the chemical compounds, that´s why I need a book, dictionary or online reliable resource.

from Wikipedia:

"Medical use and pharmacology

Chemical compounds present within chamomile have demonstrated the ability to bind GABA receptors, modulate monoamine neurotransmission, and have displayed neuroendocrine effects.[8] Major chemical compounds present within chamomile include apigenin and alpha-bisabolol.[2][8] There is Level B evidence to support the claim that chamomile possesses anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) properties and chamomile may have clinical applications in the treatment of stress and insomnia.[8]

Other classes of chemical compounds found within the chamomile plant include: sesquiterpenes, terpenoids, flavonoids, coumarins such as herniarin and umbelliferone, phenylpropanoids such as chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid, flavones such as apigenin and luteolin, flavanols such as quercetin and rutin, and polyacetylenes.[2][9] Alpha-bisabolol has been shown to have antiseptic properties, anti-inflammatory properties, and has also been demonstrated to reduce pepsin secretion without altering secretion of stomach acid.[9] Umbelliferone has been shown to be fungistatic.[9]Apigenin has demonstrated strong chemopreventive effects.[10] Coumarin compounds present in chamomile such as herniarin and umbelliferone may have blood thinning properties and there is some evidence that chamomile may interact with other medications causing drug-drug interactions.[6]

Chamomile has been used for inflammation associated with hemorrhoids when applied topically.[9] Chemical components of chamomile extract have demonstrated anti-inflammatory,[2][4] antihyperglycemic,[2] antigenotoxic,[11] and anticancer properties[2] when examined in vitro and in animal studies.[12]"

Also information related to therapeutic properties on these would be helpful:

Oxigenated compounds:

Alcohols:

Monoterpene alcohols

Sesquiterpene alcohols

Phenols:

Oxides:

Esthers:

Ethers:

Aldehydes:

Ketones:

Lactones and coumarins:

Terpene Hydrocarbons

Monoterpene hydrocarbons:

Sesquiterpenes:

I rather have the information aimed to the lay person if possible, but that a more scientific mind would find admisible. like a middle ground.

Thank you so much in advance, sorry for making you read so much. I tried to be as succinct as possible.

Aliyah Nahyhu.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
amaa78
New Contributor

Re: advice on a book.

It is good to see this because I am a student in the Pharmacy field. I love to read the chemical compositions and other substances related to them.

voetbalprimeur.JPG

0 Kudos