9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 2:07 AM by Lynn Hartshorn

Regional Meeting Roundtable at Indianapolis national meeting

Donivan Porterfield

Just checking on status of the ACS Meetings & Exposition Committee holding a Regional Meeting Roundtable during the upcoming Indianapolis national meeting?

• Re: Regional Meeting Roundtable at Indianapolis national meeting
          Joseph Sabol

I'm not sure what would be discussed, but as SCHB's reg mtg rep, I'd like to meet some of the principals from 2014 reg mtgs and hope that we could hear their status. I realize that not all reg mtgs will have a rep at ACS 246nm IND, but it seems silly for 15,000 to attend and not have a reg mtg gathering.

Bryan Balazs

Hi Joe,  I applaud SCHB's efforts in working not only at a national level, but at a regional level as well.  I'd be interested to hear more, so I will attend.  It turns out I'm teaching a Career workshop in the Convention Center that Tuesday starting at 8:30, but I can stay for the regional meeting until about 8:15.  See you there!

Donivan Porterfield

I would second Bryan’s recognition of SCHB for using our Regional meetings to serve our broader membership.  In the same context I would recognize DivCHED as another of the smaller ACS technical Divisions that go the extra many miles in supporting / participating in Regional meetings.

To Joseph’s point the Roundtable can be a good venue in which contact can be made with the organizers of upcoming Regional meetings.  Depending on the time frame the Roundtable room is reserved for, there has historically been the opportunity for small breakouts after the conclusion of the formal Roundtable program.  For example, for ACS Staff to meet with the organizers of a recently completed or soon upcoming Regional meeting.

Lynn Hartshorn

There will indeed be a Regional Meeting Roundtable at the Indianapolis meeting. It will take place at the Convention Center on Tuesday September   10 from 7:30 am to 8:30 am, and anyone at the meeting who is interested in or planning a Regional Meeting is welcome to attend. Please help us to advertise this meeting!  I don't have the actual room number yet. Please RSVP to Michelle Stevenson at m_stevenson@acs.org. Lynn

Donivan Porterfield

Lynn,

I’d like to make a suggestion / inquiry.  It is my observation that at the national meetings there are typically a lot of screens and signage in the center hallways that are used to reach out to attendees regarding ACS meetings and programs.  However, in contrast we do very little in using the existing infrastructure of the rooms in which technical programming is presented to do same.

Before and in between technical sessions little is done to reach out to those same attendees regarding other ACS meetings, e.g. Regional meetings.  I was wondering if it has been considered recently in providing content (e.g. automated PowerPoint) that session organizers could display before and in between technical sessions?  Such content could be provided via increasingly cheap USB flash drives.

When ACS national meetings go to a more centralized content management system such PowerPoint files would be even easier to provide to session organizers.  However, I’m not sure when such is expected to happen.

My ulterior agenda is also using same to promote the spring 2015 national meeting in Denver at Dallas and San Francisco national meetings.

Lee Latimer

A corrolary to this is to have some of some boards in hallways and

registrations areas with a list of upcoming regional meetings, their

websites and encouragement to go to the Regional Meetings desk in the

Exhibition.  It is amazing but true tht many members and exhibitors remain

unaware of regional meetings.

I wonder if there could be a slide in the string of interviews on the video

at the meeting?  I don¹t remember everseeing the RMs listed there.

Lee

Joseph Sabol

Technical session presiders (and division program chairs) were already asked by M&E to display a slide before, during intermission, and after the conclusion of sessions that reminds attendees to visit the expo. Seems to me that that is more timely (the current meeting), but actually odd that meeting attendees would be unaware of the existence of the expo. Lee's suggestion, below, is good: use the electronic signage in IND to advertise to attendees about upcoming regional meetings, e.g., WRM2013, NERM2013, SERMACS2013. The 2014 & 2015 reg mtgs are another animal and for those we are looking at getting the regional meeting principals and division officials together to start future planning.

Lynn Hartshorn

Donivan--, Lee and Joe, you have brought up some  interesting suggestions for publicizing Regional Meetings. I will need to find out if we can use the electronic signage for the upcoming meetings, both in the rooms and in the hallways.  Hopefully the organisers of the more distant Regional meetings will attend the Roundtable-they are of course all invited, but don't necessarily attend.  There would certainly be an opportunity for a brief discussion with staff, either  following the meeting, or scheduled later. .Lynn