AnsweredAssumed Answered

cooking chemistry problem

Question asked by Sheila Madden on Oct 7, 2014

I am looking for assistance with a recipe problem.  Yes, I know you are scientists but this is a chemistry problem and not a "cooking technique" problem a chef could answer.

I want to make a white chocolate cake with less fat.  Published recipes call for double the usual amounts of chocolate, butter, eggs, and buttermilk.  Considering white chocolate is a butter and not an actual complete chocolate (with liquor) I cannot understand the need for doubling the other fats.  If I decrease the butter/eggs/chocolate of the published recipes it will change the consistency of the batter.  I can't simply add additional flour to compensate or I'll end up with a pasty mess.  I don't want to add applesauce or pumpkin to compensate for decreased fats because I want the taste of the white chocolate to stand alone.  If I omit the buttermilk it will change the pH and the leavening agent will be affected.  Which would suit my purposes better:  baking powder or baking soda?

My aim is to have cake with considerably less fat and a less dense texture.  I have tried consulting the chocolate companies, the flour companies, the food science programs at the local university, and professional home economists. No one has an answer.  My last hope is with ACI.  Am I trying to do something that is impossible?

Thanks,

Sheila

Outcomes