cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biersackm
New Contributor

Hexane

Hello- One of the experiments in the lab is calling for Hexane to be heated at 50C in an incubator for 3 days.  The Hexane will be used at its UEL.  I am concerned about the safety of this experiment.  Is this safer than I think or is there a safe way to do this experiment?

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Brianbrady
New Contributor II

Re: Hexane

If the hexane concentration is really above the UEL it will not burn.  At 50 C the vapor pressure of hexane is ~400 torr, whereas the UEL is ~7%;  This is well above the UEL.  You have to have a sealed container though.  If the hexane can leak out and mix with ambient air the concentration in the plume will drop into the flammable range.

0 Kudos
biersackm
New Contributor

Re: Hexane

Hi Brian- Thanks for responding.  I found out that some of the tubes would intentionally be punctured so your point about mixing with the air and entering the flammable range was helpful.  I was also concerned about the vapors coming into contact with the heating element in the incubator. We decided to redesign the experiment (due to safety concerns) to perform it in a water bath in a chemical fume hood.   Thanks again, Mary

0 Kudos