AnsweredAssumed Answered

Space and matter

Question asked by Mitsuru Yamada on Jan 29, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 by Ryan Eyestone

Dear all,

As always, please take a break first and have some tea before reading this blog, Sirs.

I like to think about the empty vacuum space.  If we are floating in the free weightless vacuum space wearing some appropriate surviving suit and if we wave our hand, then we feel no reaction force to our hand.  And however strongly we stare at the space itself, we cannot see anything.  There seems to be nothing in the vacuum.

Thus the physical space is but a nothing, a perfect void.  But I am doubting whether the space is really completely nothing  or not.

When we were junior school pupil, we all learned the Archimedes principle.  The principle says that when an object is immersed in a water, then the object will feel a floating force which is proportional to its occupying volume in the water.

The Archimedes principle induces me to imagine that the similar effect might be occuring when an object or matter such as an electron or a proton exists in a space.  That is, if a matter exists in a space, then it will exclude a portion of the "empty space" which is equal to the mattere's volume.  This "fact" leads me to suspect that there might be something, some effect around the matter, much like the Archimedes force.

I like to imagine the physical property and structure of the space, of the complete empty void space if it really happens to possess such a property or a structure.

What would your imagination about the space be like, Sirs?

Thank you for your time

Sincerely

Outcomes