The Environmental Chemist is responsible to ensure that HPE products meet customer and regulatory requirements regarding the materials and substances present in HPE products and the process used to manufacture them. This position is a member of the environmental materials team that is responsible for assessing the substances used in HPE products and manufacturing processes, supporting customer and sales team requests for information on substances, identifying and qualifying replacement materials, assessing methods of environmental assessment of chemicals, and for providing technical support to public policy influencing efforts in the chemicals and materials domain.
- Provides forward looking leadership as the regulatory compliance and customer landscape evolves worldwide, ensuring competitive advantage and reputation integrity
- Provides technical support and leadership in the proactive sales and bid support for product materials topics
The Environmental Chemist is responsible to set the environmental materials strategy, and to ensure HPE has a strong competitive position in this domain
Develops of strategic and tactical plans regarding materials/substance use (restriction and/or disclosure) with associated goals and metrics
Provides technical expertise to inform the development of processes and tools to ensure regulatory and market access requirements impacting HPE products and parts are understood, influenced, and met in a timely and cost effective manner
Provides technical expertise to inform the establishment of product development strategy regarding non-regulatory materials attributes of HPE products for market/customer access at reasonable cost
Provides technical expertise to support company organizations with necessary materials knowledge to ensure effective interactions with external stakeholders, such as NGOs, investor groups, the press, and ratings/rankings organizations on materials topics
Strong background in organic and analytical chemistry. Master’s or PhD (preferred) degree in chemistry or materials science/engineering.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a major IT industry program or analytical chemistry leadership position
Strong knowledge regarding EPA, ISO, and IEC methods for chemical analysis of substances used or potentially used in electronic products
- Strong working knowledge of the materials used in the electronics industry
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams that include technical, business, management and legal contributors
- Demonstrated experience in strategic program leadership
- Ability to recommend direction and priorities and bringing proposals to senior management in the chemicals/ materials domain
- Exhibits excellent judgment in sensitive situations involving business or reputation risk and HP policies and values
- Proven self-starter with excellent business judgment, problem solving, organization and networking skills
Excellent oral, written and presentation skills, enabling effective communication of complex issues internally from the IC to VP level.