HRI Labs is being launched in early 2016 and will provide advanced testing services and custom research, offering an interesting range of work to chemists who want to work on the greener side of their discipline. HRI Labs will operate as a non-profit and will offer affordable testing, using the most advanced technologies for highly sensitive and highly reliable testing for the widest possible range of nutritional components and food and environmental contaminants. In addition to instrument-based testing, the lab will bring a spirit of collaboration to create effective testing programs that advance the sustainability of food and agricultural systems.
Job description below and also attached.
- Serve as the core of expertise in instrumental analysis, and provide guidance, and support to laboratory team, enabling them to most effectively establish HRI Labs as a functioning unit and then to successfully conduct analyses of pesticides and environmental contaminants on a wide variety of matrices (water, soil, food, agricultural products, human biological materials, etc.), and to carry out nutritional analyses and metabolomic analyses of the same sample types.
- Develop or adapt, and validate and implement methods for new analytes, including development of standardized operating procedures (SOPs). Work with laboratory team to help achieve accreditation of the laboratory and its methods to relevant standards and guidelines including ISO 17025, GLP and CLIA.
- Maintain data and facility records in an organized manner according to ISO 17025, GLP and CLIA standards.
- Achieve quality results within the time-frame expected by clients.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with advanced LC MSMS and UHPLC analytical instruments and their corresponding software systems.
- Conduct routine maintenance and preventive maintenance of advanced LC MSMS and UHPLC analytical systems.
- Maintain up-to-date personal knowledge of the data analysis methods and software tools and databases relevant to analysis of pesticides and other analytes.
- Provide customer support and service as necessary.
- Attend key technical and professional conferences, workshops and trainings to keep abreast of new advances, further develop analytical skills and communicate with technical, academic and industry peers.
- Keep current with the technical literature.
- Position is full-time.
Valued personal characteristics:
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, trouble-shooting and logic skills
- Dependable, reliable, proactive self-starter with a positive attitude
- Effective time and project management skills
- Highly organized and capable of managing multiple workflows and data streams
- Attention to detail, the ability to keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with SOPs, and the ability to inspire other team members to do the same
- Adaptable, flexible, taking initiative and capable of wearing multiple hats and stepping beyond initial job description
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, write reports and present technical information
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision, yet possessing excellent cooperative skills and the ability to work productively in a team environment
- Effective in sharing knowledge and sharing knowledge with team members
- Able to work outside standard business hours, according to workloads and timelines
Education and experience:
- M.S. in chemistry, chemical engineering or closely related field, or B.S. with M.S. equivalent directly-related laboratory experience
- Extensive bench experience in analysis of pesticide residues and environmental contaminants
- At least 4 years hands-on experience with advanced LC-MSMS, GC-MSMS, UHPLC and related instrumentation
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive salary dependent upon skills and experience
- Medical insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous vacation, and sick leave
Please send cover letter and resumé to:
John Fagan at John.Fagan@HRILabs.org and
Larry Bohlen at LBohlen@HRILabs.org
HRI Labs is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.