Job description below. For more information and qualifications, visit http://greensciencepolicy.org/jobs/#scientist
Organization: Green Science Policy Institute
Location: North Berkeley, California, near the UC Berkeley campus
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Overview of the Green Science Policy Institute (GSP)
GSP facilitates more responsible use of chemicals in consumer products by providing unbiased scientific information to government, industry and non-governmental organizations. GSP advocates for science-based chemical policies in industry and government and works globally to protect health and environment while promoting green chemistry and a safer approach to chemical use.The Institute brings government, business, scientists and citizens together worldwide to support policies which protect human health and the global environment. Our research and policy work has contributed to preventing the use of billions of pounds of flame retardants and other harmful chemicals in children’s sleepwear, furniture, electronics, and other products. To learn more about the Institute, visit www.greensciencepolicy.org.
The Green Science Policy Institute is hiring a full-time Senior Scientist to contribute to our scientific research and policy work with the interest and ability to move into a leadership position. We are looking for a motivated, organized, and capable individual to work with our team of science and policy experts and play a key role in advancing our mission.
The Senior Scientist acts as a lead project manager to envision and implement projects and activities including scientific research, writing, policy and project work; drafts materials for publication; and establishes relationships with business, academia, government and partner NGOs. The Senior Scientist will have the opportunity to advance to a leadership position in a rapidly growing organization.
The Senior Scientist will work with minimal supervision in a highly collaborative team environment to:
- Manage and implement projects such as:
- The Six Classes Project — working with large purchasers, manufacturers, retailers, and designers to reduce the use of the most harmful families of chemicals in consumer products and building materials.
- Work in collaboration with other Institute staff on GSP projects such as: Build and maintain networks with academics, businesses, government, other NGOs, and community members to reduce the use of harmful chemicals.
- Green Building Initiative for healthier insulation and other building products
- International Flammability Standards –working with scientists and standards bodies in forty countries to prevent unneeded flame retardants in electronics
- Furniture Flammability project – scientific and policy support for increased fire safety without flame retardant chemicals in consumer products
- Responsible disposal for furniture foam and plastics containing flame retardants
- Research and write educational and presentation materials
- Co-author scholarly papers, op-eds, and other publications
- Aid in the preparation for and present at Green Science Policy symposia at UC Berkeley, nationally, and internationally
- Provide supervision to Science and Policy Associate(s), interns, and others
- Write grant proposals, reports, and help with development activities