AnsweredAssumed Answered

Safety Question Concerning Neutralizing Caustic Soap

Question asked by Aaron Todd on Jan 28, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 by Wayne Cook

Hello,

I hope I am asking this in the correct place.

I need help with an environmental/ safety concern at my company. We use a soap in a ultrasonic bath comprised of Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide, needless to say it is a strongly basic compound with a pH of 14 in pure form and 12.9 in the dilute state. I need to be able to neutralize to at least 12.5 before I am able to drain it into the sanitary sewer system and comply with local regulations. I would like to be able to do this in a safe and cost effective way, and not solidify the compound as that could clog up our system. Does anyone know of an effective method that would work?

I have looked into Spilfyter liquid base neutralizer, but I believe it can release dangerous gas if mixed with the salt compounds in the soap.I have a few potential options in-house. We have HCl, but this is kept locked up and I would rather not have the employees responsible for our sonic maintenance handle it. We also have another pretty benign acidic soap with a pH of 5.5 that works, but it takes a lot of it and it is relatively expensive.

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to find a substance that an operator could pour a cup or so into the tank before draining. At worst, I will set up a tank and have a disposal company handle it- but would only want to do this if there are no other options.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Aaron

Outcomes