cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Green Chemistry for younger children in Harlem, NYC

Hello all,

I am the director of a democratic school in Harlem, NYC, where the children have started learning about Chemistry at the age of 4. This did not happen because we imposed it on them but because they had asked to learn it. As a democratic school, the children design the curriculum so Chemistry became one of the topics they studied for some time now.

We are at a point where we have a couple of 9 year olds who are obsessed with chemistry. We are starting to offer a weekly focused Green Chemistry study program but are having a hard time finding a chemist who is willing to work with this young age and who is capable of translating sophisticated scientific concepts to what young children can comprehend easily.

I am reaching out to this forum to hopefully find someone who would fit what we are looking for. Any leads to exceptional students of yours or colleagues would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the school's website: www.pono.nyc.

Here is a link to what has been written about our school: www.pono.nyc/press

http://www.pono.nyc/pressThank you in advance!

Warm regards,

Maysaa

Maysaa Bazna, MA, EdM, EdD

Founder and Director

Pono

www.pono.nyc

2002 5th Avenue

New York, NY 10035

Tel 646.490.8517

Fax 212.696.5878

Maysaa@pono.nyc

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Not applicable

Re: Green Chemistry for younger children in Harlem, NYC

Hi Maysaa,

You have probably found the resources you need but I wanted to provide you with 2 links to elementary curriculum:

1) Beyond Benign now has several units that are available- Elementary School Curriculum | Beyond Benign Making glues and playing the biomimicry matching game is fun.

2) CreositySpace has developed a kit. The material is open access online- Open-Access Modules - CreositySpace . I especially like the videos of the entrepreneurs.

I am not sure how well these would work with 4 year olds but assume that you could modify.

Best,

Saskia

0 Kudos