cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeMoran87
New Contributor

Zero-loss Reaction?

I've always wondered: is the electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen, and the reverse reaction, a zero loss reaction? For example, if one were to use a current to separate 1 liter of water into H2 and O2, and then react the gasses back into water, would there still be a liter of water, or somewhat less?

Assuming ideal conditions, eg a vacuum chamber, no contaminants in the water sample, etc.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Zero-loss Reaction?

Dear Mike,

Well, taking the last point first – IF ideal theoretical conditions could exist, then yes, you could convert water back and forth with the necessary additional energy supplied.

In “real life” the real answer is that the MASS is conserved – but whether you get it all back in the same phase (liquid) or not is another matter. I’d also question the implied definition of “zero loss reaction”. Conservation of mass is not the same as violating the law of entropy. The overall reaction cycle still requires additional energy input to proceed. It is not a “perpetual” cycle.

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
MikeMoran87
New Contributor

Re: Zero-loss Reaction?

Hey thanks, man. Yes, zero-loss is a bit of a misnomer for what I'm asking, apologies. But you've answered my question and I'm very grateful. I was going to buipd a vacuum chamber and get some other equipment together to test the hypothesis myself, but that's a lot of money I don't have. Thank you!

0 Kudos