cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekralcb
New Contributor

CO2 bubbling through Methanol and Boric Acid solution

Methanol with boric acid dissolved in it provides a lovely green flame when its vapors are ignited.  Wanted to push the vapors to a remote location and considered using CO2 as the transport gas as I did not want to have any likelihood of combustion within the piping (flammable mixture).  Wanted to bubble CO2 through the methanol/boric acid solution to have the CO2 carry the vapors to a remote location.  Is there any adverse reaction that might occur by bubbling CO2 through the methanol and boric acid solution?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: CO2 bubbling through Methanol and Boric Acid solution

Dear Brian,

No, there should not be any reaction between carbon dioxide and either methanol or boric acid.  Depending on how you are sourcing the gas, you can also use any inert gas - nitrogen, argon, helium - that may be available in your lab. I'm not sure what/why you want to move the mixture to a "remote location".  Excess air flow can also be used safely (think - fumehoods) as long as the concentration of the methanol is less than its lower flammability limit.

Best regards,

Steven

Re: CO2 bubbling through Methanol and Boric Acid solution

Boric acid is not volatile at room temperature, so I would be surprised if any significant amount could be transported in the gas phase. 

0 Kudos