cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillipsoltan
New Contributor

Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge

I have a hot tub that uses the Spa Frog system.  It has a mineral cartridge and a chlorine/bromine cartridge.  The mineral cartridge releases silver chloride that works in conjunction with the chlorine/bromine cartridge.  It helps reduce the amount of chlorine/bromine needed to sanitize the water.  The silver chloride is apparently kept around the 200ppb level.  Is there some way to test whether the mineral cartridge is working or not either directly or indirectly?  Would silver chloride affect the ORP?

Thanks,

Phillip

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge

Dear Phillip,

The key question is: "What are the expected/desired levels of the key chemicals in solution? t  YES, there are testkits out there that can measure things like chlorine and bromine in water, as well as bacterial levels (Search "chlorine test kit").  I'm a bit curious about the silver chloride.  Years ago I did some research on silver-impregnated cartridges to REMOVE chlorine from water.  Are you sure of the function of the "mineral cartridge"?  Silver chloride itself is quite insoluble, so only trace amounts of it would be left in a solution in any case. Excess chlorine or bromine could create a positive ORP solution (oxidizing agents).  Silver chloride will not.  Amazon.com : AquaChek Silver 7-Way 100 Count Pool Chlorine Tests + Sodium Chloride Test Kit : Garden...PurTest Bacteria Test Kit-700 - The Home Depot ; Amazon.com: Watersafe WS425B Drinking Water Test Kit: Water Safe Test Kit: Kitchen & Dining

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos