cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GArjcc
New Contributor

Aldol condesation

Hi,

I was carrying out an aldol reaction with 2'-hydroxyacphenone and 4-methythiobenzaldhye with KOH in methanol there was no reaction after beeing left over night . I then repeated the reaction at with heat and reflux and again no reaction. When i carried the reaction out with NaOH in ethanol with heat and reflux  it had  worked. 

Is there any reason for the reaction not to work with KOH and methanol as the reagent ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ARN321
New Contributor

Re: Aldol condesation

Ethanol is best solvent for aldol condensation.

Temperature is also important. When reaction takes place at RT, the aldol addition product is produced. At 50C, the aldol condensation product is isolated..

0 Kudos
BrandyN11
New Contributor

Re: Aldol condesation

Hi,

I read your issue and I have a suggestion for this. The aldol reaction might not proceed with KOH in methanol due to the pKa of the 2’-hydroxy group being around 9, which deprotonates readily to alcoholic hydroxide. For the reaction to work, a second deprotonation at the methyl group is needed to form the enolate anion.

This is more likely to occur with NaOH in ethanol, possibly due to better solvation effects and the higher acidity of ethanol compared to methanol.

I hope my suggestion will be helpful for everyone. If you have any query then tell me.

Best regard,
MyDestinyCard
0 Kudos