cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maham11
New Contributor

Seeking Advice on Optimizing Synthesis of 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine (DNPH)

Hello ACS Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently working on a project involving the synthesis of 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine (DNPH), and I have encountered some challenges that I hope to get advice on.

Background:

• The goal of my project is to synthesize 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine using a standard diazotization method followed by reduction.
  • I have been following the protocol outlined in [reference paper/standard method], but I am experiencing lower-than-expected yields and some impurities in the final product.

Details:

• Reagents: 2,4-Dinitrochlorobenzene, hydrazine hydrate, and solvents like ethanol and water.
  • Conditions: Diazotization at 0-5°C, reduction at room temperature.
  • Observations: The reaction mixture turns dark red, and the final product shows unexpected byproducts on TLC.

Challenges:

• Yield: The yield is consistently lower than reported in the literature, around 50% compared to the expected 80%.
  • Purity: The NMR and HPLC analyses show the presence of impurities, which I believe might be unreacted starting materials or side products.

Questions:

1. Has anyone experienced similar issues with this synthesis method, and how did you overcome them?
  2. Are there any modifications to the protocol that you would recommend to improve yield and purity?
  3. Could the impurities be a result of incomplete reduction or side reactions, and how can I test for this?

Any insights, suggestions, or references to relevant literature would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn from the community's expertise and improve my synthesis process.

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos