cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edward_teddy
New Contributor

Gamma radiation question (from a novice)

Hello,

I am working on a short story centered around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and I was wondering which gamma radiation was more high-energy: the radiation from the cooling water flowing through the core caused by the decay of nitrogen-16, or the gamma emission caused by the decay of Cs-137?

I understand that Cs-137 has a much longer half life than N-16 but which is the more powerful emitter of gamma rays during their respective half-lives? (Reference link https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/safety-of-plants/appendices/fukush...)

Thank you so much! 

Ed

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Gamma radiation question (from a novice)

“The dosage is the poison”. Gamma radiation is what we call a particular form of energy transfer – that from very short wavelength electromagnetic waves (photons). When they are initiated from radioactive decay processes there is no difference in the energy from one atom or another.

The danger lies first in the initial exposure and only later in exposure time. That is, a shorter half-life compound will emit more gamma rays in any period of time than one with a longer half-life. We don’t like the idea of “long” half-lives meaning that the stuff will be around a long time, but the fact is that shorter half-lives usually mean more dangerous radiation levels.

As noted in your reference, the N-16 with a very short half-life posed a greater health risk requiring temporary special protective measures. But fundamentally the exposure to gamma radiation (or other) is a function of the amount of the starting material.

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
VidmateAPK
New Contributor

Re: Gamma radiation question (from a novice)

VidMate - HD video downloader is one of the greatest tools for downloading videos and songs from famous web services like Vimeo, Dailymotion, YouTube, Instagram, FunnyorDie, Vine, Tumblr, Soundcloud, Metacafe, and many others. VidMate app allows you to download content from virtually any video platform.

0 Kudos