cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwen_E
New Contributor

Separating out Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles

Hello! 

This is regarding the use of Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) as an additive and colorant in medicinal products.

Please understand this is not a medical question! 

It is simply a theoretical  question from a consumer point of view:  For those of us that know we consume tablets daily containing TiO2, and as we see the European Union is seeking to possibly ban such additives, is there a way to proactively reduce such additives in our daily consumption?

For example, given a tablet, like Aspirin, which contains Titanium Dioxide, is there a way to reduce the amount of Titanium Dioxide?

I'm wondering if soaking/dissolving will separate out the excipients (additives)? If so, could you identify/separate the Titanium Dioxide? I know it is opaque white, but beyond that I am clueless and not a chemist!  😊  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Arutnevking
New Contributor II

Re: Separating out Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles

I understand your curiosity about the use of titanium dioxide (TiO2) in medicinal products and your desire to proactively reduce additives in your daily consumption. However, it's essential to approach this with caution. Tampering with or attempting to alter the composition of medicinal products can be unsafe and should not be undertaken without proper guidance and expertise.

Titanium dioxide is used as a colorant and may also serve other functions in tablet formulations. It is insoluble in water, which means that simply dissolving a tablet is unlikely to remove the TiO2. Moreover, it may not be possible for a layperson to identify and separate TiO2 from other excipients in a tablet.

Gwen_E
New Contributor

Re: Separating out Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense, as I am now looking up the solubility of my medication -- valacyclovir-- and it turns out that the medication itself is only partially soluble in water.

It is intriguing, however, to see the opaque white stuff settling at the bottom of the jar when attempting to dissolve a few tablets. The majority of which, I think (?), would be the nanoparticles--the supposedly innocuous TiO2 nanoparticles which some research has shown actually make their way into our organs  (which is why France is attempting to ban the use of them).

As you say, it is not wise to monkey with medications.  However, it is with curiosity and a layman's research of good clinical articles/reports that one does not want to be totally at the mercy of Pharmaceuticals and the guidelines of governmental entities and large powerful professional societies. 
I am not the only one to think this 😁 Despite being told to do so, many, many of us are not getting the covid-19 boosters.  And some doctors are not recommending it either. Mine doesn't. Now, if I can just find a chemist/pharmacist/doctor to assist  in obtaining TiO2--free meds. Ha!
Thank you again for your reply.