cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenSCy
New Contributor

Heating Polystyrene

I have been experimenting with using reclaimed polystyrene as an art medium. I would like to shrink EPS for easier long-term storage by heating it to its glass transition point. However, I am worried about inadvertently releasing styrene vapor.

At what temperature will polystyrene begin releasing styrene vapor, and will it release large enough quantities to pose a threat to human and animal health?

3 Replies
john125wheeler
New Contributor

Re: Heating Polystyrene

@jenSCychoiceADVANTAGE wrote:

I have been experimenting with using reclaimed polystyrene as an art medium. I would like to shrink EPS for easier long-term storage by heating it to its glass transition point. However, I am worried about inadvertently releasing styrene vapor.

At what temperature will polystyrene begin releasing styrene vapor, and will it release large enough quantities to pose a threat to human and animal health?

Hello,

When polystyrene (PS) is heated, it begins to release styrene vapor. The glass transition point of PS is approximately 100°C (212°F) . However, it’s important to note that styrene is a storage hazard above 32°C (89.6°F), and when it decomposes due to heating, it releases acrid smoke and irritating fumes . While the quantities released during typical art-related processes may not pose an immediate threat to health, it’s advisable to work in a well-ventilated area and take necessary precautions.

Best regards,
john125wheeler

0 Kudos
katelyn2598
New Contributor

When working with polystyrene (PS), it's crucial to be aware of the risks associated with its heating. Polystyrene begins to release styrene vapors when heated, particularly above its glass transition temperature of approximately 100°C (212°F). Styrene vapors can be irritating and, if inhaled in high concentrations, can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, and respiratory irritation. While the quantities typically released during art-related processes may not pose an immediate threat to health, it's essential to work in a well-ventilated area to minimize exposure. Additionally, wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and respiratory protection if ventilation is inadequate, is advisable. Being mindful of these precautions helps ensure a safer working environment and reduces the risk of potential health effects associated with styrene exposure from heated polystyrene. Read more 

0 Kudos
yamalkhan
New Contributor

In the year 2024, I am thankful for the invaluable opportunities to gain knowledge,the meaningful connections that have brought richness to my life, and the steadfast resilience displayed in overcoming netwyman blogs challenges,nurturing not only personal growth but also a deeper understanding of life's complexities......

0 Kudos