cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenSCy
New Contributor

Heating Polystyrene

I have been experimenting with using reclaimed polystyrene as an art medium. I would like to shrink EPS for easier long-term storage by heating it to its glass transition point. However, I am worried about inadvertently releasing styrene vapor.

At what temperature will polystyrene begin releasing styrene vapor, and will it release large enough quantities to pose a threat to human and animal health?

1 Reply

Re: Heating Polystyrene

Hello,

Heating polystyrene, especially expanded polystyrene (EPS), to its glass transition temperature (around 100°C) can indeed cause it to soften and shrink1. However, there are some important safety considerations regarding the release of styrene vapor.

Styrene Vapor Release:

Temperature: Styrene, the monomer of polystyrene, can start to release vapor at temperatures above 100°C, with significant release occurring at higher temperatures23.
Health Risks: Inhaling styrene vapor can pose health risks. Short-term exposure can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, while long-term exposure may affect the central nervous system, leading to symptoms like headache, fatigue, and dizziness45.
Safety Recommendations:

Ventilation: Ensure you work in a well-ventilated area to minimize inhalation risks.
Protective Gear: Use appropriate protective equipment, such as masks and gloves, to reduce direct exposure.
Temperature Control: Carefully monitor and control the heating process to avoid exceeding the glass transition temperature significantly.
By taking these precautions, you can safely work with polystyrene while minimizing health risks.

Best regards,
samuel898

0 Kudos