cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsey1
New Contributor II

Differential Scanning Calorimetry

About a month ago I started a discussion on great ideas for an undergrad research. My research adviser proposed one for me and it's going to be on Differential Scanning Calorimetry Investigations on biological molecules. As of now I don't know a lot of information about this technique and what it entails. I will be reading more about it during the summer but I would appreciate it if someone who knows a little more about it could give me some info. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wilson
New Contributor

Re: Differential Scanning Calorimetry

Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) is one of the thermoanalytical techniques in which the difference in energy inputs into a substance and a reference material is measured as a function of temperature whilst the substance and reference material are subjected to a controlled temperature programme. Some application of DSC includes:

Melting temperatures

Transition enthalpies

Phase transformations, Phase diagrams

Crystallization temperatures

Degree of crystallinity

Glass transition temperatures

Decomposition effects

Reaction kinetics

Purity determinations

SPECIFIC HEAT

In My field of work DSC is used to analyze the different phase transitions that occur on heating the compounds to the melt and then cooling back to room temperature.. 

Hope this help a little... You probably learn more about this technique as you read more about it and also when you actually see how the instrument works..

0 Kudos
gsey1
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, this was very helpful.

0 Kudos
wilson
New Contributor

You are welcome!!

0 Kudos