AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help understanding the production of Hypochlorous Acid and byproducts

Question asked by Alex Todd on Apr 2, 2020
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 by James Bozin

The goal is to aid in the fight against COVID-19 by producing stable Hypochlorous Acid at 200 ppm FAC or more to sanitize hospitals and high touch places through the use of a fogger. HOCl is far more efficient than bleach and much safer. 

I am researching the creation of HOCl through the electrolysis of pure water with 40g of pure table salt NaCl per liter, with and without a Bipolar Membrane.

This is the best explanation of what happens that I have. But I am not sure it is correct. I feel there is more to it and more chemical compounds created.

2 NaCl + 6 H2O + Electricity = 2 HOCl + O2 + 4 H2 + 2 NaOH

or

2 NaCl + 6 H2O + Electricity = 2 HOCl + 2 H2O + 2 H2 + 2 NaOH

or simplified to

2 NaCl + 4 H2O + Electricity = 2 HOCl + 2 H2 + 2 NaOH

I especially need to know what gases are released at each end (Anode & Cathode). As they can be a safety hazard. I thought they were Oxygen O2 and Hydrogen H2. However several articles have referenced Chlorine being released. I thought it had to stick around to create the HOCl and if that is not true there is something very flawed with my equations above.

This diagram shows chlorine gas released at the Anode.

Chemistry of Hypochlorous Acid 

This site gives chemical equations I do not know how to read.

Electro-Chemical Activation 

This diagram shows Oxygen gas released at the Anode.

Fig. +. Schematic of electrolyzed water generator and resulting compounds.  | Download Scientific Diagram 

This diagram also shows Oxygen gas released at the Anode.

What is HOCl? – eco-i-on 

This is a question-answer that clearly says Oxygen is not released.

https://www.toppr.com/ask/question/brine-solution-on-electrolysis-will-give/ 

Outcomes