AnsweredAssumed Answered

Detecting acetone

Question asked by Vonelle Kostelny-Vogts on Mar 5, 2014
Latest reply on May 5, 2014 by Josh Kurutz

Hello,

I'm a coin collector and coins that have been cleaned lose a great deal of value.  There has been a lot of  discussion on coin forums about this and many say that acetone safely removes the green goop that results from silver coins being stored in PVC holders.  It appears that this works, and most claim that there is no acetone residue left that can be detected on the coin.  (The damage from PVC remains, however.)

I was wondering, is it really true that acetone completely evaporates leaving no residue?

I believe that some coin dealers clean coins to remove the normal 'dirt' that one would find on a circulated coin to make the coin appear less circulated.  Some of us collectors prefer that coins be left as they are, except in those cases where the coin will be destroyed unless it is soaked in acetone.

So, is there any way to tell?  And if there is,  will the evidence be detectable for years to come, and if so, how?  It's probably not a big deal to most collectors but I kind of like to know what I'm really getting.

Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter.

Vonelle

Outcomes