cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonn
New Contributor

Anhydrous ammonia -> ammonical nitrogen charge?

Jump to solution

Howdy Chemists! Chemistry was not my strong suit in school and so I'm thoroughly out of my realm. I thought I'd ask a question here because I'm hearing two different things from two different people.

I'm looking at a fertilizer that is ammonical nitrogen that is derived from anhydrous ammonia. Ammonium Nitrate is a neutral charge is my understanding (+ ammonium and - Nitrogen), but I have someone saying that because it's derived from anhydrous ammonia, there is no negative charge to offset the positive - thus leaving it positively charged.

So is it positively charged or neutral charge? Makes a huge difference for my application.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WayneCook
New Contributor III

Re: Anhydrous ammonia -> ammonical nitrogen charge?

Jump to solution

Anhydrous ammonia is a gas with no (zero) charge.  It is a very strong base and as such, wants to pick up a hydrogen ion.  When it does, it becomes an ammonium ion and has a plus one (+1) charge.  Ions cannot exist (under normal conditions) without a counter-ion.  Ionic chemical substances must have the same number of positive and negative ions.  This ammonium ion will find a negatively charged ion to give a net neutral charge.  In your example, this ion is a nitrate ion which has a negative one (-1) charge.  One ammonium ion (+1) and one nitrate ion (-1) provides a neutral molecule; ammonium nitrate. 

If you use anhydrous ammonia (neutral; zero charge) instead of ammonium nitrate, the ammonia gas will react with water to form ammonium hydroxide.  This molecule has an ammonium ion (+1) and a hydroxide ion (-1).  Ammonia is basic enough to ionize water.  This is how ammonium hydroxide (like you can buy at the grocery or hardware stores) is made.  Since ammonium hydroxide is a strong base, it is corrosive to your skin, eyes, lungs, and even some metals (like aluminum). 

Ammonium nitrate is neutral and not a strong base and is less corrosive.  If you want to fertilize your land, ammonia gas is cheap but hazardous and corrosive.  Ammonium nitrate is a solid and much easier to handle. 

Check the Safety Data Sheets for ammonium nitrate for the correct safe handling procedures.  These are available from your supplier or on the internet.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WayneCook
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Anhydrous ammonia is a gas with no (zero) charge.  It is a very strong base and as such, wants to pick up a hydrogen ion.  When it does, it becomes an ammonium ion and has a plus one (+1) charge.  Ions cannot exist (under normal conditions) without a counter-ion.  Ionic chemical substances must have the same number of positive and negative ions.  This ammonium ion will find a negatively charged ion to give a net neutral charge.  In your example, this ion is a nitrate ion which has a negative one (-1) charge.  One ammonium ion (+1) and one nitrate ion (-1) provides a neutral molecule; ammonium nitrate. 

If you use anhydrous ammonia (neutral; zero charge) instead of ammonium nitrate, the ammonia gas will react with water to form ammonium hydroxide.  This molecule has an ammonium ion (+1) and a hydroxide ion (-1).  Ammonia is basic enough to ionize water.  This is how ammonium hydroxide (like you can buy at the grocery or hardware stores) is made.  Since ammonium hydroxide is a strong base, it is corrosive to your skin, eyes, lungs, and even some metals (like aluminum). 

Ammonium nitrate is neutral and not a strong base and is less corrosive.  If you want to fertilize your land, ammonia gas is cheap but hazardous and corrosive.  Ammonium nitrate is a solid and much easier to handle. 

Check the Safety Data Sheets for ammonium nitrate for the correct safe handling procedures.  These are available from your supplier or on the internet.

Jonn
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you for explaining it!