cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppleThief
New Contributor

Are Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium EDTA, and Edetate Disodium the same thing?

I took an allergy patch test for cosmetics, and I got +1 positives for Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Phenyl Salicylate. Despite purging all of my cosmetics with Cocamidopropyl Betaine listed in the ingredients, I kept getting allergic reactions. That caused me to look closer at the allergEAZE printout that my allergist gave me for Cocamidopropyl Betaine, which said that I should also avoid disodium salts. None of my cosmetic products had "disodium salts" listed in the ingredients, and so I then Googled every single ingredient in my cosmetics, many of which had Disodium EDTA and Edetate Disodium listed in the ingredients. When I Googled "disodium salt", the first result calls it "EDTA disodium salt". And when I Googled "edetate disodium", the first result called it "Disodium EDTA". Are all three ingredients the same exact thing at the chemical level? Or are they just similar to one another?

Also, I Googled Cocamidopropyl Betaine to learn more about it, and it's derived from coconuts. That concerns me because I'm finding lots of other coconut-derived "coca-" ingredients in my cosmetics that aren't listed on my allergEAZE printout. Should I just avoid anything with "coca-" listed in the ingredients since they all have the same underlying coconut-derived chemicals in them that I'm allergic to?

Thanks a million in advance for any helpful responses.

0 Kudos