cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmflahiff
New Contributor II

pH changes by adding water to ph neutral solutions?

Jump to solution

Good day ACS Members,

I am wondering if I adding tap water to a pH neutral soap will change the pH of the created soap solution.
(I think it partly depends on the pH of the tap water)

I am asking because I recently had Marmoleum linoleum installed in our family room.
The directions said to clean with their pH neutral product.
I am thinking of going the DIY route and using pH neutral dish soap (adding tap water). |
But may consider buying one of the recommended cleaners (see Sources below)

Any reply would be much appreciated!
I do appreciate your reading this lengthy question

Janice Flahiff, age 67
Toledo, OH
  (who forgot just about everything from college chemistry it seems!)
(but is not afraid, finally to ask questions which show her ignorance!)

Sources

**List of pH Neutral Cleaners
https://myhomedwelling.com/list-of-ph-neutral-cleaners/
Granted, this may not a reputable source, being a dotcom, and a revenue generator!
    It does state adding water to cleaners changes pH, but nothing about soap..

**Green Home Floors Shopping Cart
https://www.greenhomefloors.com/Forbo-Marmoleum-Neutral-PH-Concentrated-Cleaner-Quart-FMP-PHCL-QT.ht...

Scroll down to
Do....

"Mop the floor with a solution of Forbo Neutral pH Cleaner. 4. Damp mop with clean water."

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CateLevey
New Contributor

Re: pH changes by adding water to ph neutral solutions?

Jump to solution

Short answer: It depends, but probably it will be close enough to neutral for your purposes. 

It depends on both the pH of the tap water (can vary a lot), and the buffering capacity of the cleaner in your solution. If you want truly neutral water you could buy distilled water from the store, and that should be very close to pH 7. 

View solution in original post

scooke
Contributor III

Jump to solution

First, as some others have mentioned, the effect of tap water on the pH of any other solution will depend on the pH of the tap water and the buffering of the solution.  In reality, there is very little effect unless one is trying to maintain EXACLTY a pH of 7.0.

Second, MOST of the claims to pH effect of products is just Marketing to sound "scientific".  Yes, they may have some effect, but the ad writer wouldn't have a clue.  It IS possible to degrade certain finishes of plastic (linoleum) surfaces with either a very strong acid or base compound.  Washing with bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or muriatic acid are NOT recommended.

Third, reading the manufacturer's website materials, they are only trying to get some more after-sale sales of products.  They neither prohibit any particular cleaner (soap will do), nor do they guarantee and particular lasting finish from the use of their products!  In fact, they explicitly state (warn?) that the surface appearance WILL change irrevocably over time.

So, use a mild soap solution with a tap-water rinse for your floor cleaning, and enjoy your flooring.

Best regards,

Steven

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CateLevey
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Short answer: It depends, but probably it will be close enough to neutral for your purposes. 

It depends on both the pH of the tap water (can vary a lot), and the buffering capacity of the cleaner in your solution. If you want truly neutral water you could buy distilled water from the store, and that should be very close to pH 7. 

jmflahiff
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thanks! much as I expected, but do appreciate your time and good explanation

0 Kudos
scooke
Contributor III

Jump to solution

First, as some others have mentioned, the effect of tap water on the pH of any other solution will depend on the pH of the tap water and the buffering of the solution.  In reality, there is very little effect unless one is trying to maintain EXACLTY a pH of 7.0.

Second, MOST of the claims to pH effect of products is just Marketing to sound "scientific".  Yes, they may have some effect, but the ad writer wouldn't have a clue.  It IS possible to degrade certain finishes of plastic (linoleum) surfaces with either a very strong acid or base compound.  Washing with bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or muriatic acid are NOT recommended.

Third, reading the manufacturer's website materials, they are only trying to get some more after-sale sales of products.  They neither prohibit any particular cleaner (soap will do), nor do they guarantee and particular lasting finish from the use of their products!  In fact, they explicitly state (warn?) that the surface appearance WILL change irrevocably over time.

So, use a mild soap solution with a tap-water rinse for your floor cleaning, and enjoy your flooring.

Best regards,

Steven

jmflahiff
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thank you very much.
Makes sense to me, esp the marketing angle

0 Kudos