cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackmd
New Contributor

Potential corrosive behavior for dried Hydrochloric Acid (hydrogen chloride)

Background

I accidentally got some "Lysol Power Clinging Gel" on both of my hands and then turned on the garden hose to rinse them off. Unfortunately, I didn't properly rinse the nozzle afterward, so a small amount of Lysol got transferred to the nozzle handle.

This product contains 9.5% Hydrochloric Acid, which is a liquid solution of water and hydrogen chloride, and it is corrosive.

Question

After 24 hours, once everything has dried, will all the hydrogen chloride evaporate into the air, or could there remain a solid or powder form of hydrogen chloride? I'm concerned about potential corrosive behavior even after drying.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
john125wheeler
New Contributor

Re: Potential corrosive behavior for dried Hydrochloric Acid (hydrogen chloride)

@jackmd wrote:

Background

I accidentally got some "Lysol Power Clinging Gel" on both of my hands and then turned on the garden hose to rinse them off. Unfortunately, I didn't properly rinse the nozzle afterward, so a small amount of Lysol got transferred to the nozzle handle.

This product contains 9.5% Hydrochloric Acid, which is a liquid solution of water and hydrogen chloride, and it is corrosive.

Question

After 24 hours, once everything has dried, will all the hydrogen chloride evaporate into the air, or could there remain a solid or powder form of hydrogen chloride? I'm concerned about potential corrosive behavior even after drying.

Hello,

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is indeed a potent and corrosive substance. Let’s delve into the behavior of hydrogen chloride (HCl) in different conditions:

Dry Hydrogen Chloride Gas:
When hydrogen chloride is in its gaseous form (dry HCl gas), it is generally not corrosive to most metals.
Stainless steel, for instance, does not corrode when exposed to dry hydrogen chloride gas1.
However, this scenario changes when moisture is introduced.
Moisture and Hydrochloric Acid Formation:
If moisture is present (such as sweat or ambient humidity), hydrogen chloride reacts with water to form hydrochloric acid (HCl).
Hydrochloric acid is highly corrosive and can cause skin burns on contact2.
In the case of your Lysol exposure, if any residual moisture remains, it could lead to the formation of hydrochloric acid.
Corrosion Behavior of Stainless Steel SS304:
A study investigated the corrosion behavior of stainless steel SS304 in hydrogen chloride-containing environments.
Dry hydrogen chloride gas did not corrode stainless steel, but when saturated with moisture, the corrosion rate increased significantly.
In a free-water environment, the corrosion rate tripled due to the reaction of hydrogen chloride gas with water, forming hydrochloric acid1.
Given this information, it’s essential to ensure thorough rinsing to remove any residual Lysol and prevent potential corrosive effects.

Best regards,
john125wheeler

0 Kudos