cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pedromrodriguezz
New Contributor

What is the difference between Resorcinol and Technical Resorcinol

I am currently an entry level energetic chemist and am reading patents on the production of Styphnic Acid. For most methods it presents just "resorcinol" as an ingredient, but for some methods it has "technical resorcinol" as an ingredient. The only difference that I could find through my research is that techinical resorcinol is 99% purity. Is this the only difference?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Carol2698hunter
New Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Resorcinol and Technical Resorcinol

@pedromrodriguezzBallSportsGear wrote:

I am currently an entry level energetic chemist and am reading patents on the production of Styphnic Acid. For most methods it presents just "resorcinol" as an ingredient, but for some methods it has "technical resorcinol" as an ingredient. The only difference that I could find through my research is that techinical resorcinol is 99% purity. Is this the only difference?

The difference between Resorcinol and Technical Resorcinol is mainly in their purity levels. Technical Resorcinol is a grade of Resorcinol that has at least 99% purity, whereas regular Resorcinol may have lower purity or contain impurities that could affect its reactivity and performance.

Resorcinol is a phenolic compound that has two hydroxyl groups attached to a benzene ring. It is used in various applications, such as dyes, pharmaceuticals, plastics, and resins.

Technical Resorcinol is a specific type of Resorcinol that is produced by a complex process involving oxidation and rearrangement of 1,3-diisopropylbenzene. It is an expensive and rare chemical that is only produced in a few locations around the world.

I hope this answers your question.

0 Kudos