cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Looking for non phenol alternative to BPA for thermal paper that will pass or do better on GreenScreen (something like citric acid prefer non yellow

Looking for non phenol alternative to BPA for thermal paper that will pass or do better on GreenScreen (something like citric acid prefer non yellow).

Looking for ideas will do chem hazard assessment on any ideas thrown into hat.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Looking for non phenol alternative to BPA for thermal paper that will pass or do better on GreenScreen (something like citric acid prefer non yellow

HI Rolfe,

I am interested by your post here. Do you mind if I place this in the Global Thermal Printing Network (LinkedIN) to see if any of our industry resources might be interested? Do you work for a thermal company or are you working independently?

Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Looking for non phenol alternative to BPA for thermal paper that will pass or do better on GreenScreen (something like citric acid prefer non yellow

Hello Rolfe,

You are not alone in your interest to locate thermal paper without phenol developers. Many organizations are searching for thermal paper that does not contain chemicals like bisphenol A, bisphenol S, diaminodiphenyl sulfone etc. There are several thermal paper makers or thermal paper converters that say they have safer thermal paper alternatives. You may want to contact thermal paper makers directly and ask them to provide detailed information related to the chemical replacements in their products. I am a chemist with deep understanding of the chemistries related to thermal paper. You mentioned citric acid. Citric or ascorbic acid is not likely by itself to be an effective developer. If it is used in thermal paper then it is likely to be there in relatively small amounts. It is also likely that there will be at least one additional developer chemical used at higher levels in conjunction with the citric or ascorbic acid. My advice is to be cautious and verify the chemistry and ask the company offering the thermal paper to validate to you that the thermal paper being offered does not in fact contain any of these chemicals of concern. We want to avoid regrettable substitutions. You may also want to pursue thermal paper that does not contain developers at all. I am aware of at least one company that claims to offer a thermal paper that does not contain a developer. I am not at liberty to share the name of that company but you should be able to locate them with a little research. Maybe one of our GC3 colleagues may be in a position to be able to share that information.

Roger

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Rolfe

I'm a manufacturer of BisS and am now aware of the risks of continued usage of bisS in thermal paper. I'm trying to move away from making it and finding other solutions. Do you think you can advice me in a professional capacity as to the chemistry behind developers ? I have a strong chemistry and engineering background and have developed products on my own and would honestly like to develop an alternative developer that doesn't contain these phenols. I've heard of meta amino phenol based developers but not sure about their safety and longevity. 

Let me know thanks 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Sorry that was meant for you ROGER and not for Rolfe

0 Kudos