Thursday, April 24, 2014 at The Parthenon Restaurant
Starts at 5:00 PM · Ends on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM, EDT (America/New_York)
The chemical industry is undergoing enormous changes that affect employment. What are they and how should chemists prepare for them?
Massive layoffs from large companies have become common, yet somehow unemployment for chemists remains relatively low. What are the industry trends that affect employment? Are big companies shutting down in-house R&D? Are permanent jobs being replaced with temporary and contract positions? Is there a rise in opportunities at contract research organizations, small companies and startups? Should smart chemists assume all employment is now unstable? Is it smarter to seek a position in a contract research organization, or even work as an independent contractor? What is the new shape of the chemical industry, and how does today's chemist prepare for it?
Our panel of experts will address these questions and provide specifics relevant to Chicagoland:
- Dr. Dave Harwell, Assistant Director of Industry Member Program at ACS in Washington, D.C., will speak about trends in the chemical industry as a whole
- Kinnari Saraiya, Manager at Kelly Scientific Services in Chicago, will speak about local employment trends, with particular emphasis on contract and temporary employment
- Two additional panelists from HR departments of large local chemical firms will provide their perspective from the job supply side
PRE-DINNER TALK:Kinnari Saraiya, Manager at Kelly Scientific Services, will speak to job-seekers about how to best prepare for employment in today's environment.PROGRAM5:00 - 6:30 • Social Hour with cash bar
5:30 - 6:00 • Pre-dinner talk for job-seekers6:30 - 7:30 • Dinner 7:30 - • General Meeting, including panel discussion MENU - Greek Family Style Dinner
- Appetizers: Saganaki (Kaseri cheese flamed in brandy), Gyros (roasted slices of lamb and beef), Taramosalata (fish roe blended with lemon and olive oil); traditional Greek salad.
- Main course: Vegetarian Spinach-Cheese Pie, Vegetarian Pastitsio (Macaroni baked with broccoli, Bechamel sauce and Kefalotiri), Dolmades (vine leaves stuffed with rice, meats and herbs), Rotisserie-roasted lamb served with rice pilaf and roasted potatoes.
- Desserts: Baklava (flaky layers of Phyllo baked with nuts and honey) and Galaktobouriko (flaky layers of Phyllo with vanilla custard and baked with syrup.
chemistry, chemical, chemist, chemical engineering, science, scientist, scientific, chicago, chicagoland, chicago area, pharmaceutical, pharma, engineer, engineering, materials, material, materials science, academic, academia, college, university, industry, industrial, enterprise, younger chemists, young chemists, women chemists, female chemists, young scientists, younger scientists, women scientists, sustainability, young professionals, professionals
employment, jobs, job opporunities, career, career counseling, chemical industry, industry trends, trends, trend, job growth, career opportunities, employment picture, outlook, employment outlook, job seeker, seeking employment
The Parthenon Restaurant
314 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL United States