cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Re: Skin on fingers only turning black using well water with high iron content

I have the same issue! If my laundry and hair isn't turning orange then my hands are turning black. I also bite and peel my cuticles and finger skin. Bad habit! I guess it causes more cracks to soak up the black? Is it caused by iron or something else? I'm hoping it's not harmful or lead or something.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Nov. 02, 2017 guest post, 

What you said makes sense. I have this issue and our iron level is extremely high from our well water this season. It is definitely a chemistry issue-the dark staining on cuticles/around nails(biter) as well as the skin on palmar side of right hand. I smoke cigarettes (right hand) and after smoking I wash the right hand because I can't stand the cig smell on hands. I am guessing that either nicotine or other chemical residue from cigarettes is left on the fingers which when washed with the iron/iron sulfide water has a chemical reaction in the top layer's' of effected skin. 

The only solution that I've tried which removes the staining is either "The Works" or Lysol liquid toilet bowl cleaner poured on skin for about 15 seconds and rinse well with cold water. I don't recommend people do that even though I do(potential to damage skin from harsh acidic  cleaner). It works for me for now anyway.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I use bleach spray and it works but leaves my hands smelling like bleach. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes, this happens to me, too. Everything you said pertains to me, too. No one else in family reacts this way. Lemon juice removes the stain but dries the skin out. This only happens when water softener malfunctions.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi, this happens to me too and I have found out what causes it. Two years ago we drilled a new well for our water. We tested the water and the iron level is high and that you both smell and taste but also see on the porcelain in the bathroom. Three months ago my nails and the rough skinn on my fingers started to turn black (and it disappears with citric acid). Like the rest of you in this discussion I am the only one in the family that this happens too. So what differs me from the others or what changes have I made during these three months? Three months ago I started to supplement with magnesium, 500 mg per day. To find out if this could be reason I stopped with magnesium one week ago and now I don't get black anymore. So in my case there must have been some reaction between iron and magnesium. Anyone else that supplements with high doses of magnesium?

Not applicable

yes...we have a camp that has high iron and that happens to my hands and fingers

when I’m there.

No one else at camp has that problem...just me? I found that if I soak my hands in a bowl with 

cap full of the denture cleaner “Stain Away” mixed with warm water and scrub them with a nail brush

it comes right off. I have town water at my home and my hands and fingers do not turn a purplish black

color at home. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

it happened to me as well and i noticed if I dont drink enough water that's happening ,once I start drinking enough water  again its disappeared.Hope this is helpful. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue,  I don't understand why?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

It's caused by a reaction between Iron Sulphate (in the water) and the grease in your skin   Can only suggest you wear disposable gloves   - Bicarb and fairy liquid should remove but takes a while

0 Kudos
Not applicable

My dad was using too much of hand rub in the form of spray recently because of this covid19 pandemic he was using it too much and frequently applying it so this caused him to black stains on his palm why did that black stain occur?

0 Kudos