cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhansen
New Contributor

Re: Yogurt - are you making your own?

I tried the oven method recently and ended up with soupy yogurt. I'm guessing this is because I used a cheap store-brand yogurt for the culture or it didn't stay warm enough overnight or some combination of the two. I plan to buy some Dannon soon to see if that makes a difference. I had pre-warmed my gas oven prior to putting the mixture in it. I also left the light on hoping that would help keep it warmer. I'll let you all know if switching to Dannon makes a difference when I get a chance to do that.

0 Kudos
BlakeAronson
Contributor II

You can "Greekify" regular yogurt pretty easily. Just line a sieve with a couple of paper towels, dump in your yogurt, and hang the sieve over a bowl to drain. Leave it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning, you have nice, thick yogurt.

I don't know if this will help with any of the "soupy" yogurts discussed in this thread, but it works great on Stonyfield yogurt, which is pretty thin.

0 Kudos
MeghanKnapp
New Contributor

I'm interested in the idea of using a crockpot.  That seems like a good way to get a constant temperature.  Would it be too hot?  How long and what setting (mine has low and high).

0 Kudos
jhansen
New Contributor

I think the low setting is still way to hot for yogurt. My slow cooker has a keep warm setting which I have checked and it keeps the temperature at about 140 ºF which I think is still to warm. My recollection is you want about 120 and anything over about 135 will just kill the bugs.

Jeff Hansen

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry

DePauw University

602 S. College Ave.

Greencastle, IN 46135

jhansen@depauw.edu

0 Kudos
Stewart-Smith
New Contributor

I don't know if they are all this way, but even on low, my two crock pots

would be too hot. They are designed to cook either slow (250 W)or slower

(160 W), but cook nonetheless. Perhaps if you found one at a thrift store

and dedicated it to only to yogurt, you could modify it to operate at a

lower temperature.

It's a resistance device, so a suitable voltage divider or solid state

device should work. A lab rheostate might do it, or at these power levels

maybe even a light dimmer switch with a 250 or 300 W capacity. Ramp it down

with water in it and measure the temp in the morning to see if it's 120F or

less.

0 Kudos
venetka
New Contributor

Hello yogurt enthusiasts,

Lactobacillus feels best between 34-46 degrees C.

In Bulgaria we use an old blanket or sweater to place the container in and cover it as a bundle well, cover more if needed and keep it away from a draught. No incubators or other temperature maintaing equipment necessary. You can start at 46 C, it will cool off in the process. Select a wrap that can hold the temperature for at least 6 hours, although you can have a faster process if using more starter than the ca. 5% I use.

This is how my grandmother did it, how my mother does it when she gets large amounts of fresh farm milk and it always turns well. I had to learn when I first came to the US. As fermentation is a complex process, the product might vary from batch to batch so don' t get discouraged by variation in sourness or texture. It might be runnier than commercial products but the taste will be much fresher.

I use glas containers that are easier to clean well, can be larger as we are big users and cool fast in the fridge. Cooling the yogurt before tasting or putting with jam in containers is important to get a thicker texture (but there are many other factors like the starter that can influence texture).

I have tried various yogurt makers but revert to the sweater method as 1 L is too little for us and noticed temeprature variations at the bottom of the appliance. Some ovens have functions for yoghurt (Kitchen aid ovens seem to have one) I have never tried one.

A coffee filter is easier to scrape off than paper towel if thickening the yoghurt.

Venetka Agayn

0 Kudos
MartaGmurczyk
New Contributor

Thanks Venetka for reminding me about the sweater method. This is what we did back in Poland! I am going to try it as soon as I am back from the national meeting. We used to drink our yogurts so we did not care so much about thicker consistency!

Marta

Marta Gmurczyk, Ph.D.

Manager | Office of High School Chemistry

Staff Liaison I Committee on Chemical Safety

1155 16th St., NW | Washington | DC 20036

T 202-452-2105 | F 202-833-7732

www.acs.org <http://www.acs.org/>

––––––––––––––––––––

ACS Chemistry for Life

American Chemical Society

Subscribe to Chemunity News <https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:51013> (free email newsletter with education news and information on ACS Education programs, products and services)

0 Kudos