cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ifeoma_Ekenna
New Contributor

Nanotechnology

Hello everyone. I am very glad to be a member of this beautiful society. I have always admired the ACS. I need your help. I want to do a green synthesis of nanoparticles. Could someone give me an idea on how to start the project, how do I formulate a nanoemulsion too? Thanks in anticipation of your great help.

@mi,

2 Replies
Khaleel_me
New Contributor

Re: Nanotechnology

Green synthesis of nanoparticles requires you using mostly a plant I.e leaf, root or stem of which its phytochemical analysis has proven the presence of some secondary metabolites like  flavonoids, Alkaloids, saponins etc. Which serves as reducing and stabilising agent in nanoparticle synthesis.

An aqueous plant extract of the plant is reacted with a certain equivalent of the metallic salt e.g silver, copper or iron to synthesise the nanoparticle.

0 Kudos
salmawisoky
New Contributor

Re: Nanotechnology

Starting a green synthesis project for nanoparticles and formulating a nanoemulsion involves several steps. Here's a general outline to help you get started:

1. Research and literature review: Begin by conducting a thorough literature review on green synthesis methods for nanoparticles and nanoemulsion formulations. Explore published research papers, review articles, and academic resources to gain a solid understanding of the principles, techniques, and materials involved.

1. Define your objectives: Clarify the specific goals of your project. Determine the type of nanoparticles you want to synthesize (e.g., metal, metal oxide, semiconductor) and the desired properties or applications. Similarly, identify the purpose and desired characteristics of your nanoemulsion.

1. Select a green synthesis method: Explore various green synthesis methods such as plant extracts, microorganisms, or bio-friendly chemicals. Consider factors such as availability, cost, environmental impact, and compatibility with your desired nanoparticles. Look for established protocols or methods that have been successfully used in previous studies.

1. Materials and reagents: Identify the materials and reagents required for your green synthesis. This may include precursor compounds, reducing agents, stabilizers, and solvents. Ensure that the selected materials align with your green synthesis objective.

1. Experimental design: Plan your experiments by considering variables such as reaction conditions (temperature, pH, time), concentration of reagents, and order of addition. Develop a systematic approach to evaluate the effects of different parameters on the synthesis process and the properties of the nanoparticles. Statistical experimental design methods, such as Design of Experiments (DoE), can be useful for optimizing your synthesis process.

1. Characterization techniques: Determine the characterization techniques you will use to analyze your nanoparticles and confirm their properties. Common techniques include Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM Drift Boss ), X-ray Diffraction (XRD), and UV-Vis spectroscopy. Ensure you have access to the necessary equipment and expertise for characterization.

1. Nanoemulsion formulation: To formulate a nanoemulsion, consider factors such as the choice of surfactants, co-surfactants, oil phase, and their ratios. Experiment with different formulations to achieve the desired stability, particle size, and encapsulation efficiency. Utilize appropriate characterization techniques such as Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) and zeta potential measurements to evaluate the nanoemulsion properties.

1. Safety and ethical considerations: Prioritize safety measures throughout your project. Handle chemicals responsibly, follow appropriate waste disposal protocols, and adhere to ethical guidelines for research involving nanoparticles.

1. Data analysis and interpretation: Collect and analyze your experimental data. Draw conclusions based on your results and compare them with existing literature. Identify areas for improvement and potential future directions.

Remember, this is a general overview, and the specifics of your project will depend on the type of nanoparticles and nanoemulsion you are working with. It's always beneficial to consult with experts in the field and collaborate with experienced researchers to enhance your project's success.

0 Kudos