AnsweredAssumed Answered

Drinking electrocoagulated water

Question asked by Brandon Lind on Jan 2, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 by Jay Brown

I have been interested in the electrocoagulation of lake water for drinking purposes and I am interested in knowing any potential health risks associated with directly drinking the product from an ion contamination standpoint..

The procedure I use is as follows: A 5 gallon bucket of water is electrolyzed using a steel cathode and aluminum anode each of half inch diameter and separated by about 7/8" and extend to the bottom of the bucket. I believe the average starting pH is around 7 The electrodes are connected directly to a 12v car battery and left connected until there is a floating mass at the top and the water underneath appears substantially clear. The floating mass is gently scooped off and the bulk of the clear liquid is decanted into a second bucket passing through a cloth filter. The filtrate is then passed through about 8 inches of clean silica sand and the product appears impressively clear and tasteless. Using the same pan to bring several pans worth of water to a boil does yield a white residue on the pan, but it seems insignificant. Is there any risk in drinking this water from an ion contamination standpoint assuming any bacteria was either removed or died during boiling?

Outcomes